Australian Legal Practitioner
United States Attorney at Law (New York State Bar)
Director Law Institute of Victoria
Chair SME Business Law Committee Law Council of Australia
Meghan’s practice focus is in representing medical and health care professionals in their many practice challenges as well as individuals and small to medium sized business clients. Her experience is predominately in the areas of commercial and business law, disputes (litigation and alternative dispute resolution), contracts, wills and estates, trusts and employment.
Meghan is a principal lawyer and director at Burke & Associates Lawyers, joining the Burke’s team after extensive experience at Maurice Blackburn Commercial, Goldman Legal and Leanne Warren & Associates.
Meghan’s clients benefit from her broad reaching strategic advice, problem solving skills, negotiation, knowledge in a broad range of business and legal practice areas, and her holistic approach and care for her clients.
Meghan’s practice focus is in representing medical and health care professionals in their many practice challenges as well as individuals and small to medium sized business clients. Her experience is predominately in the areas of commercial, business, disputes (litigation and alternative dispute resolution), contracts, wills and estates, commercial leasing, trusts and employment.
In addition to being admitted as a legal practitioner in Australia in Victoria and Federal jurisdictions, Meghan is also admitted as an attorney to the New York State Bar in the United States.
Meghan continues in her second year as Chair of the SME Committee of the Business Law Section of the Law Council of Australia. She also continues in her second year as a member of the Law Institute of Victoria Council, where she brings strategic and good governance focus.
Meghan has great interest in charity, aid and development work both in Australia and overseas, having previously been on the Board of the Indigenous Education Foundation (Mentawai, Indonesia). Until merger with SurfAid in 2014, Meghan was also a director and acting child protection officer of Sumba Foundation Australia. Meghan has assisted in establishment of health promotion charities such as Leila Rose Foundation.
Outside of the law, she enjoys her family, photography, travelling and training in CrossFit, and Muay Thai boxing.
- Commercial law
- Commercial disputes (litigation and alternative dispute resolution)
- Wills and estates (succession and asset protection)
- Employment law
- Property (Commercial Leasing)
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Melbourne)
- Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning) (RMIT)
- Graduate and Member of Australian Institute of Company Directors – Company Directors’ Course
- Certificate from Australian Aid International - Introduction to Humanitarian Operations
- Admitted to practice as an Australian legal practitioner in Victorian State and Australian Federal jurisdictions
- Admitted to practice as an Attorney at Law to the New York State Bar in the United States of America
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria Health Law Committee, Administrative Law & Human Rights Section
- Member of the Australian Association of Practice Management
- Member of the Law Council of Australia (Chair of SME Committee and member of e-Commerce Committee in the Business Law Section)
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria Litigation Executive, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee and Victoria Court Practice Committee of the Litigation Section
- Director of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the American Bar Association (Business Law, Dispute Resolution, Litigation and Senior & Younger Lawyers Divisions)
Publications and Papers
- Paper submitted in Children Rights & The Law (University of Melbourne) short listed for publication in Children Rights Law Journal
- Regular Contributor for Australian Association of Practice Management's (AAPM) Quarterly Magazine