Meghan’s practice focus is in representing medical and health care professionals in their many practice challenges as well as individuals and small to medium sized business clients. Her experience is predominately in the areas of commercial and business law, disputes (litigation and alternative dispute resolution), contracts, wills and estates, trusts and employment.
Meghan is a principal lawyer and director at Burke & Associates Lawyers, joining our team after extensive experience at several law firms such as McMasters’ Solicitors, Maurice Blackburn Commercial and Goldman Legal.
Meghan’s clients benefit from her broad reaching strategic advice, problem solving skills, negotiation, knowledge in many practice areas, and her holistic approach and care for her clients.
In addition to being admitted as a legal practitioner in Australia, Meghan has successfully undertaken the Multi-State Bar Examination in New York to enable her to be admitted to practice in 21States of the USA.
Meghan has great interest in charity, aid and development work both in Australia and overseas, having previously been on the Board of the Indigenous Education Foundation (Mentawai, Indonesia). Until merger with SurfAid in 2014, Meghan was also on the Board and acting child protection officer of Sumba Foundation Australia. Meghan has also assisted in the establishment of health promotion charities such as Leila Rose Foundation.
Outside of the law, she enjoys photography, travelling and training in crossfit, and muay thai kickboxing.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Melbourne)
- Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning) (RMIT)
- Graduate and Member of Australian Institute of Company Directors – Company Directors’ Course
- Certificate from Australian Aid International - Introduction to Humanitarian Operations
- Admitted to practice as a legal practitioner in Australia’s State and Federal jurisdictions
- Awaiting admission to practice as a legal practitioner at the New York State Bar, United States of America
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria Health Law Committee, Administrative Law & Human Rights Section
- Member of the Australian Association of Practice Management
- Member of the Law Council of Australia, Chair of SME Committee and member of e-Commerce Committee, Business Law Section
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria Litigation Executive and Victoria Court Practice Committee of the Litigation Section
- Director of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the American Bar Association (Business Law, Dispute Resolution, Forum on Construction Law, Health Law, Litigation and Senior & Younger Lawyers Divisions)
Publications and Papers
- Paper submitted in Children Rights & The Law (University of Melbourne) short listed for publication in Children Rights Law Journal
- Regular Contributor for Australian Association of Practice Management's (AAPM) Quarterly Magazine